7 Natural Remedies:
1. Lemon Balm: This herb has antiviral and calming properties. It contains a chemical compound called “eugenol” that gives it antiviral properties and helps to numb the tissues and reduce the throbbing pain that cold sores can cause.
According to the University of Maryland and a large study with lemon balm that involved three German hospitals and one dermatology clinic showed that, when lemon balm was used to treat the primary infection of HSV I, not a single recurrence was noted. The cream has also been found to reduce the healing time of both genital and oral herpes.
2. Lysine: An essential fatty acid used to make protein needed to produce infection-fighting antibodies. Lysine inhibits the spread of the cold sore. You can use in topical form or as a supplement taken orally. According to studies lysine is an effective treatment against cold sores.
3. Resihi and Astragalus: Reishi is a traditional Chinese medicine and a type of mushroom used to boost the immune system and research has shown that its antivirial properties help to inhibit the spread of the herpes virus. A typical dose is 600mg once or twice a day. It effects are enhanced when used in accordance with astragalus that is also known for its immune boosting properties and healing powers. This is an effective remedy for cold sores.
4. Oil of Oregano: A wonderful healing herb known for its antibacterial, antiviral, and antimicrobial abilities. Oil of Oregano can be dabbed on cold sores twice a day or every few hours or when you feel the need. or it can be taken internally mixed with water.
5. Bee Propolis: This amazing wonder of nature has my vote of confident with its natural healing abilities. Propolis is a resinous substance produced by bees to seal their hives and keep germs out. It has strong antibacterial and antimicrobial properties is an active warrior against simplex type I virus. It can be used in capsules form, extracts, and ointments to stop the pain and heal the cold sore quickly. According to the University of Michigan Health System it can be used effectively for many conditions as well as cold sores.
6. Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is antiviral and antibacterial and why it is one of the ideal remedies to treat cold sores. Treat cold sores with Tea Tree oil can dramatically reduce both the duration and discomfort of a cold sore. Apply tea tree oil to the area with a cotton swab at the first sign of a tingling or itching sensation. The oil can be used at full-strength.
7. Try Organic Raw Apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial properties that will kill the bacteria and even out the pH. Apply directly to the cold sore with a clean cotton swab several times a day or as needed.